Professor and Canada Research Chair
CCRI Associate Director
Department of Chemistry
Centre for Catalysis Research and Innovation
Keywords: theoretical and computational chemistry, molecular simulation, metal organic frameworks, clean energy, carbon capture and storage, catalysis, materials science, high performance scientific computing.
Welcome to the research web page of Professor Tom Woo, at the department of Chemistry, the University of Ottawa. We are situated in the beautiful city of Ottawa – Canada’s National Capital. Our principle research interests lie in the fields of computational chemistry and their applications to carbon capture and storage, clean energy technologies and catalysis. We are involved in the development and application of state-of-the-artmolecular simulation techniques to model chemical systems at the atomic and electronic level. Since our simulation techniques push the limits of current computing technologies, our group is also heavily involved in high performance technical computing and we run our own 500+ CPU computing cluster. The group is also part of the University of Ottawa’s world class Centre for Catalysis Research and Innovation (CCRI).
- Feb. 2013 – Congratulations to Tom Baker, Woo and the CCRI for the successful $11 million CFI Leading Edge fund application. This will really enhance the biocatalysis capabilities of the CCRI. It will also significantly enhance our high performance computing facilities.
- Sept. 2012 - Congratulations to Woo for being named to NSERC’s Discovery Grants Evaluation Group.
- Nov. 2011 - Woo starts term as Associate Director of the Centre for Catalysis Research and Innovation.
- Nov. 2011 - Our papers “Phosphonate monoesters as carboxylate-like linkers for metal organic frameworks” and ”Competition and cooperativity in CO2 sorption by amine functionalized metal organic frameworks” with George Shimizu’s group have been accepted in JACS and ACIE, respectively.
- Oct. 2011 - Our group’s pumpkin this year is a MOF pumpkin capturing CO2!
- Oct. 24 2011 - Congratulations to Carlos and Jessica on the arrival of their daughter Sofia.
- Sept. 2011 - Congratulations to Arif who won best poster presentation prize at the Jacques Cartier Colloquium on 21st Century Catalysis Science and Applications .
- August 2011 - Saeid finishes his sabbatical in the Woo lab and returns to Iran
|2010-present||Associate Editor (Theory) for the Journal of Molecular Catalysis A|
|2008-2010||Editorial Advisory Board of the Canadian Journal of Chemistry|
|2005-present||Canada Research Chair in Catalyst Modeling and Computational Chemistry|
|2002/2003, 2003/2004||Nominee for the Bank of Nova Scotia, The UWO Alumni Association and the USC Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (UWO)|
|2001/2002, 2002/2003||UWO University Student’s Council Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence|
|2001||Premier’s Research Excellence Award|
|2001||Canada Foundation for Innovation Researcher|
|1999||Canadian Association of Graduate Studies National Dissertation Award|
Department of Chemistry
University of Ottawa
voice: (613) 562-5800 ext. 6145
fax: (613) 562-5170
office: D’Iorio room 303
labs: Marion 017 ext. 6485